Burn Permits


The City of Callaway has adopted the Florida Division of Forestry’s rules and regulations regarding open burning in the city limits.

If you decide to burn in the City of Callaway, know the open burning regulations before you start the fire:

  • Authorization is not required to burn yard waste as long as you meet the required setbacks. Yard waste is vegetative debris such as grass clippings, brush, leaves, tree limbs, palm fronds, and other items that are a result of yard maintenance.
  • Burning authorization is required for agricultural, silvicultural, land clearing, and pile and acreage burning. Contact the Florida Division of Forestry to obtain the appropriate burn permits.
  • It is illegal to burn household garbage (including paper products), treated lumber, plastics, rubber materials, tires, pesticides, paint, and aerosol containers.
  • You may burn yard waste as long as:
    • The yard waste was generated on your property and it will fit in an eight-foot diameter pile or non-combustible container.
    • Your fire is ignited after 8:00 am and is extinguished one hour before sunset.
    • Smoke is not a hazard or nuisance.
    • The burn pile or container must be 25 feet away from forests, 25 feet away from your house, 50 feet away from a paved public road, and 150 feet away from other occupied buildings.

Burn Requirements

Additional Information

If you have any questions regarding open burning in the City of Callaway, contact the Fire Department at (850) 871-5300 or the Florida Division of Forestry.