Code enforcement cases can begin in a number of different ways; most commonly, a complaint is called into the Codes Enforcement Department
by a citizen. Complaints may remain anonymous.
To call in a complaint, please call (850) 871-4672. Residents may also fill out our complaint form
General Outline of Case Progression
Case progression can vary depending upon the nature of the violation or a number of variables, however the general progression of code enforcement is as follows:
- A complaint is received by the department.
- An inspection is performed to verify that a violation exists on the property.
- The resident and / or property owner is then notified that a violation(s) exists and is given a reasonable period of time in which to correct the violation(s).
- A follow-up inspection is performed to verify that the violation(s) has been corrected.
- If compliance is not voluntarily achieved soon, a formal notice of violation will be issued stating a reasonable amount of time for the violation(s) to be corrected.
- If the violation(s) is not corrected by this time, a fine is issued.
- If the violation(s) remain after the fine has been issued, a lien may be put on the property.
For further information concerning the process of code enforcement, please call the department at (850) 871-4672.